Victorian times brought us many things, including the first Christmas cards. Celebrate the holidays and new year by creating your own version of the classic Victorian Christmas card, Steampunk style.
Type of CraftEdit
- Blank pre-made greeting cards or thin cardboard
- Construction paper
- Something to write with: Pen, Pencil, Marker, Colored Pencils
- Glitter glue (optional)
- Victorian Imagery, ephemera (see note)
- Steampunk Imagery, ephemera (see note)
- Lace, doilies, buttons, small gears, paper scraps
Note on ImageryEdit
- Many Victorian-era Christmas card imagery is available online
- I also recommend Dover's Vintage Christmas Cards CD-ROM and Book (Electronic Clip Art), which isavailable from Amazon
- There's a lot of Steampunk imagery available online as well or try your hand at drawing or creating your own.
- Many etsy stores also sell steampunk themed scrapbook material that you could use
- Gather your materials together
- Cut out and glue a piece of construction paper onto the blank greeting card or cardboard, this is your background.
- On top of that, arrange and glue your Victorian Christmas image, steampunk imagery and other items (check the examples at the top for inspiration).
- Using your glitter glue, add a touch of sparkle or glue on some lace or buttons
- Once your card is all dry, you can add additional creative touches using your markers, pens or colored pencils. When in doubt, draw a gear!
- Add your note to the inside, sign, seal and deliver